Friday, August 14, 2015

Loophole #6 - Do you fall into this category when trying to form a new habit?

When we’re trying to form and keep habits, we often search, sometimes unconsciously, for loopholes. We look for justifications that will excuse us from keeping this particular habit in this particular situation. However, if we recognize this behavior and catch ourselves in the act of loophole-seeking, we can avoid using the loophole, and improve our chances of keeping the habit.

There are many kinds of loopholes. Ten kinds, in fact. So every few days we will be posting about a category of loophole, to help with the Strategy of Loophole-Spotting.

Loophole Category #6: the “This Doesn’t Count” loophole.
We tell ourselves that for some reason, this circumstance doesn’t “count” — but in fact, while we can always mindfully choose to make an exception to our habits, there are no magical freebies, no going off the grid, no get-out-of-jail-free cards, nothing that stays in Vegas. It’s a Secret of AdulthoodEverything counts.

·         I’m on vacation.
·         What are weekends for?
·         I’m sick.
·         I ate it off a child’s plate.
·         My wine glass wasn’t full.
·         This is a just one-time thing.
·         I ordered it for both of us, which means you’re eating half, even if I eat the whole thing.
·         I’ve totally given up drinking. Except on special occasions, and on the weekends, and when I’m out with friends.
·         I don’t even want this.
  
Do you find yourself arguing that something doesn’t “count”?

Reference: “Which of These 10 Categories of Loopholes Do You Invoke?” by Gretchen Rubin, February 5, 2014.


No comments:

Post a Comment