Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Loophole #5 - Do you fall into this category when trying to form a new habit?

When we’re trying to form and keep habits, we often search, sometimes unconsciously, for loopholes. We look for justifications that will excuse us from keeping this particular habit in this particular situation. However, if we recognize this behavior and catch ourselves in the act of loophole-seeking, we can avoid using the loophole, and improve our chances of keeping the habit.

There are many kinds of loopholes. Ten kinds, in fact. So every few days we will be posting about a category of loophole, to help with the Strategy of Loophole-Spotting.

Loophole Category #5: Apparently Irrelevant Decisions
It’s odd. When it comes to keeping our good habits, instead of fleeing temptation, we often arrange to succumb. In what Dr. Alan Marlatt dubbed “apparently irrelevant decisions,” we make a chain of seemingly insignificant decisions that allow us covertly to engineer the very circumstances that we’ll find irresistible.

·         I drove across town to that gourmet grocery store to buy broccoli, and I ended up buying their special cheesecake. Who could resist?
·         I’ll just check my email quickly before I go to the gym…oops, I don’t have time to go to the gym, after all.
·         I’m not going to eat anything more tonight, but I’ll go into kitchen and look in the freezer. Just curious.
·         No reason why I shouldn’t sit in the smoking section.
·         I’ll buy some scotch to have in the house in case someone stops by.
·         It’s such a nice day, it would be nice to take walk—would you look at that! I’m in front of my favorite bakery. I’m just going to step inside to enjoy the lovely smell.
·         My husband and I love to go on “all inclusive” cruise vacations, and I can’t resist the all-you-can-eat food.


A friend told me, “I know a guy in L.A. who has some trouble with gambling. The last time I saw him, he said, ‘I just lost a lot of money in Vegas.’ I said, ‘I thought you weren’t supposed to go there anymore.’ He said, ‘I’m not, but I didn’t go there to gamble.’ I said, ‘So why were you there?’ He said, ‘I bought a new car, and I wanted to take it for a test drive.’ He was absolutely serious.”

Reference: “Which of These 10 Categories of Loopholes Do You Invoke?” by Gretchen Rubin, February 5, 2014.


No comments:

Post a Comment